Saturday, May 02, 2009

Here we go again...

Packing. I feel like it's all I do. As I might have mentioned in a previous post, since graduating (just last May, mind you--less than a year ago), I've lived in 3 apartments in Brooklyn and 1 house in Takoma Park, Maryland. Monday, I move again. That will be my 5th address in a year, and that's not including the brief stint at home for Christmas or at my friend Alex's before moving into my new digs in DC.

The past four months have flown by in a whirlwind. Amazing internship, amazing people at work. I'm 22, and I've already had my dream job, and now I have to leave it behind. I worked at NPR. NPR! Now, I head back to the Strand bookstore in New York

My dad half jokingly said I should write down my experiences... maybe serialize it or something. It could be partly humorous, but mostly just sad, confusing, anxious, and maybe even a little hopeful. A real bildungsroman, as they say.


and this time around,
one year out of school
hours upon hours spent on Craigs List

six Brooklyn apartments visited in 24 hours
fifty pounds of books to transport
one bed and one desk to buy
one new person to learn how to live with
1280 per month to live on
too many people to leave behind


This is not a poem, but is there still poetry?















Smith Street in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn -
my new abode

This one's not a sublet though... maybe I'll be there longer than four months... maybe. But then again, what would be the adventure in that? To settle or to stay transient and prone to every passing whim and overwhelming fancy?

No comments: