Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I feel as if it is my duty to at least put this out there for you...

The uncomprehensive list of my favorite albums from the year 2008 alone. Please note I only included the albums I found myself listening to most, and I was unalbe to sample some of the stuff that has appeared in other lists...

That said, here goes:

Runner up: A Weather - Cove
(Totally overlooked by most, but a great little album in its entirety with a handful of addictive songs. "Pinky Toe" kills me. Beatiful analogy.)

10.d. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
(I mean it was fun, and the album artwork was insanely amazing but geeze. how much music can these guys put out before I get sick of it, right?)
10.c. Department of Eagles - In Ear Park
(to be honest, I was more a fan of their earlier stuff, and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about his voice, but still worth a nodd.)
10.b. Sigur Ros- asldkfja;lsdkjfa;lskdjf;owaje
(yeah. that one. so surprising. so upbeat and jaunty complete with the delightful naked runners on the cover.)
10.a. MGMT - Electric Feel
(I gotta admit... seeing them in the Fall of 2005, I thought they were easily the worst band I had EVER seen... and that show was pretty terrible, but these kids have certainly tapped into something interesting.)
9. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
(certainly good, and with an impressive opening, but not matching the genius that was Apologies to the Queen Mary. Also... what is with that melody in "Bang Your Drum"?? Does it not remind you of something else? Some other pre-existing song?)
8. Benoit Pioulard - Temper
(very nice. ambient.)
7. Little Joy - Little Joy
(I only got this album a couple of weeks ago, but it's nice and fresh not only for being new, but just in how in sounds.)
6. M83 - Saturdays = Youth
(hauntingly retro without being shoddy and ill thoughtout. "Kim and Jessie" = amazing. I still swear it should have been in Donnie Darko.
5. Lykke Li - Youth Novels
(She's Swedish and therefore georgeous and absolutely enthralling. Ok, so there is on song I absolutely can't stand, and her voice can be kind of whispey, but her persona did it for me... and some of those tracks are so darn catchy. They actually made me want to dance. no pun intended.)
4. Deerhunter - Microcastle
(I really got into this over the past month or two. Always good live. good record, though in my opinion, quite a different sound for the band. Bradford Cox blows my mind.)
3. Beach House - Devotion
(This album took up where Bon Iver left off at the beginning of the year. I played it TONS. Dreamy.)
2. Mount Eerie with Julie Doiron & Fred Squire - Lost Wisdom
(Definitely didn't make it onto many lists, but an absolutely georgeous and wonderful album. Seeing them play a few months back was such an amazing experience that I couldn't wipe the goofy grin off my face for maybe 5 solid hours, and I felt at peace with the world. soooo good. Female backing vocals = a nice addition to the typical Phil-heavy mix).
1. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
(Yeah. I'm counting it as 2008. Deal with it. If this is what Wisconsin sounds like, I don't care if it's -18 degrees. I will pack my bags and move. Hauntingly gorgeous, sparse and simplistic yet well-crafted and intentional. A stellar debut that EASILY makes the top slot for this year.)

No comments: